Step by Step Installation to Root your HTC Desire, Install ROM Manager and Update new ROM?
1. Now a day’s its very simple to root your phone with UNREVOKED method, just go to http://unrevoked.com/
2. Choose your handset like in my case its ‘HTC Desire’
3. Download for Windows
4. After download the file, first thing you have to do is uninstall HTC sync from your computer including HTC driver (On your computer, go to Start > Control Panel > Programs > and Uninstall HTC Sync and HTC driver if it is installed before you continue)
5. Now download the HBOOT driver from http://unrevoked.com/rootwiki/doku.php/public/unrevoked3
6. Installed HBOOT driver, plug your phone with your PC and it will install the new HBOOT drivers for your device
- Cross verify the installation of drivers > Open Device Manager on your PC. Go to Start Menu –> Control Panel –> Device Manager.
- Under the Other devices, you will find your Android device. Right click on it and select Update Driver Software.
7. Now run the downloaded ‘unrevoked file for windows’, you will see this screen
8. Plug your device and enable USB debugging on your device or just simply follow the instruction
9. Done! You are rooted and have a custom recovery image!
You may be get error one time, please try again it should work with latest bootloader as well.
Mostly user gets the error ‘unrevoked error failed to get root is your firmware too new’
If you get the same error again, then please backup your phone including apps and data (with MyBackupPro or Backup Everything) and reset to factory defaults
Now try again and it should work this time.
Ø Now you can download the ‘ROM Manager’ from the Market and install on your device
Ø Now backup your current ROM with ROM Manager
Now, if you want you can download any of the new ROM’s available for HTC desire and install
Here are the instructions to install Anddroid 2.3 from OXYGEN RC6 for HTC Desire:
- Make sure your device is rooted. You can root it by above mentioned steps.
- Download the ROM from the link given below, and copy it to the root of your SD card.
- Open ROM Manager and choose install ROM from the SD Card and provide the path and choose both the option to proceed further (Backup existing Rom and Wipe Data amd Cache)
- Your phone will reboot and start in Recovery automatically, if not choose Recovery tab.
- Now it will process the installation automatically and your new ROM will get installed.
- If you get any error like unable to mount SD or anything like that then Boot you device again and open ROM Manager, under Utilities > click ‘Fix Permissions’ and this will make the necessary changes.
- Now follow the step 3 to 5 again
If you would further require any help, mail me on email@example.com